Hey, what's up? It's been a while...
Ok, so phases - um - almost all of them are complete!
Here's what we did:
1. Powerwashed and waterproof sealed the fence. What a pain! Next time, hiring this out...
2. Front rock wall using cut strip stone to form a bed around the porch. I did most of the laying out, Chad had to cut the stones for the corner so they fit right. It was pretty fun, but tougher than we thought, especially since our yard slopes, so the side of the wall had to be two layers higher than the front.
3. Rock garden on side of driveway. Had these two giant boulders delivered and placed. They just sat there for a while w/o the surrounding bed, so people were wondering a little bit what the point was. Everyone seems to like it now. This is my favorite, since I came up with it myself. All of these plants will grow and fill in space, so it looks a little open now, but I can't wait for it to get going. Even in the week since this pic was taken, some of the plants have bloomed and grown. I'll get another picture up when it looks cooler. There's ornamental grass behind the left rock that will get tall and there's a shrub behind the larger boulder that should get about 4'x4', so it will have a nice backdrop when it grows in.
4. Backyard bed. More effort to hide the green box. Again, these plants will all spread and fill in the space in the coming years. They are all perennials. It's hard to see how cool these plants are, cause you can't get the whole picture then. If you recall, the aspens and decorative grasses around the box were there from last summer. The grasses would be taller to hide the box, but we had to replace them this spring. The ones we put in last summer bit it over the cool winter we had.
5. Sprinkler system went in! We went all out. Drip system for all the beds, even special sprinkler heads to water the vegetable garden. We don't need to lift a finger! Our grass is already becoming thicker, and looking much nicer, and it's only been two weeks.
The last thing that is on the list is improving the walkway on the side of the house with the rocks. I am dreading this and have been glad that I have been so busy with hiking/climbing so I don't need ot start it. It's been SO hot. The mountains are the place to be...not down here in the inferno!