So I had to take a few weeks off from the sports due to a slightly hyper-extended knee. Also I had exams, so for once the sports injury stars aligned with the test stars and I really didn't feel that angry about missing my sports.
Last Friday at my Bob appointment he gave me the green light to wreck shop again...so I did tae kwon do Saturday, outdoor soccer Sunday and then indoor soccer last night. The first two weren't no big deal...easy class and game.
Last night we played one of the most fun indoor games EVER. The teams were both playing pretty well and were evenly matched. I was feeling good...except for the bucket of blson goulash that I had eaten for dinner. It felt like a fireball in my gut...but whatever. Will I ever learn with the eating before the game? No. Safe to say. It was a very competitive, fast paced game and everyone was firing on all cylinders. We don't always get that for several reasons...old lady injuries, playing with subs because the core team ladies have schedule conflicts, general laziness...what have you.
I went into full-blow Becky spaz out mode and it felt SOOOO good. Stealing balls, mixing it up with the ladies (aka. "pushing bitches around" - ACTIVATED!). HOWEVER, here is a list of the injuries I sustained in this game. We will travel in a superior ---> inferior direction down the body. (new fancy anatomy terminology that I have learned):
1. A totally wrecked right hand and wrist. I know...that's a big fat WTF for soccer. This chick and I were both crossing the middle and ran into each other unintentionally. My hand + her ribcage + some decent velocity = totally smushed fingers and wrist. It feels like my hand went through a meat grinder today. On the bright side, if my hand didn't take the blow, we might have knocked heads.
2. At some point while I was in the "crease" trying to clean up the garbage, I caught an elbow to the gut. This made me suck wind for a minute, but there was a scoring chance, so it went largely unnoticed until today...sore abs.
3. Total return of Patty-ass on the RHS (high hammy pull). I did a lot of quick burst sprints and footwork against the shiftier girls on the other team...maybe not the best idea after 3 weeks off. But...those young chicks WILL NOT beat me...I tell you!
4. Achy left knee (the hyper-extended one). Which I am supposed to ice after sports per Bob. But it was 11:45 pm when I got settled in here back at camp. Sorry...ice and me don't get along after 9pm.
5. HUGE bruise emerging on my right calf. Some girl ran up my back and pretty much stepped on my leg while I was running. If you can picture that.
6. Stiff ankle. Turned my left ankle rubbin' shoulders in the goal box, and trying to shoot from some ridiculous angle. Girl pushing on you + resulting torque + artificial turf + regular soccer cleats = no bueno. But that got walked off too. Just some pain and swelling...nothing left to damage in there, really.
7. Tore open the "healed" blister on my right achilles tendon.
8. Totally wrecked left big toe. I have no idea on this one. It just started hurting in the middle of the night. I am wondering if I will be able to go to TKD tomorrow. Prolly just tape it up.
So basically I need a walker to get around today, and this is the "getting old stinks" part, BUT:
Scoring the game-winning goal with 20 seconds left on the clock on a ridiculous left footed kick with the ball about waist-high in mid air, and a bad angle with the goalie rushing me and a girl on my left hip...PRICELESS. Totally worth every ache and pain. You'd think I just threw the winning Superbowl pass...still pumped about it!